Start Point Sail West Ltd
Practical courses and charter from West Pier, Sutton Harbour, PL4
Shorebased courses from WH Unit 2, Plymouth Yacht Haven, Shaw Road, Plymouth
The postcode for Sat Nav users is PL9 9XH
Tel 01752 213121
We run the full range of RYA Sail Training practical sessions from Sutton Harbour and shorebased courses from Plymouth Yacht Haven and bespoke sessions with our Marina Partners.
Sail West Yacht Charter offers Yacht charter in the Caribbean.
Our skippers have 100,000 of international sailing experience. We offer Yacht Deliveries and Own boat tuition.
Useful links: MDL Queen Anne’s Battery
Directions to Plymouth Yacht Haven.
- Turn left off the A38 Devon Expressway at Marsh Mills roundabout onto A374 signed Plymouth City Centre.
- After 1 1/4 mile get into left hand lane and follow signs for Kingsbridge A379.
- This takes you across Laira Bridge where you will see the first signs for Mount Batten and Turnchapel.
- After crossing the Laira Bridge, at the first roundabout (Morrisons) take the 3rd Exit, turning right onto Pomphlett Road. (Morrisons and McDonalds on your LHS).
- At the next roundabout take the second exit and continue on Pomphlett Road, cross pedestrian lights, and continue straight on until traffic lights at crossroads.
- Turn right onto Dean Cross Road and then go straight through a second set of lights onto Radford Park Road.
- Keep on this road (for approx 1 1/2 miles), (Hooe Road, Jennycliffe Lane, Stanford Lane) crossing straight over three mini-roundabouts and continuing onto Lawrence Road.
- At the next roundabout, continue along Lawrence road with the Eastern and Western Hangers on your right. Start Point Sailing classroom can be found in the Office Suite, Unit 2 is at the far end of the Hangers. See Map. There is parking in the road along the side of the hangers. Alternatively, turn right into Plymouth Yacht Haven on Shaw Lane and first left into the car park. Parking is free whilst you are on a shorebased course with Start Point Sailing and £2.50 per day whilst on the practical. Please ensure that you put a note in the window to that effect. . (We do not accept any responsibility whatsover for your car or equipment whilst you are on the course).
- Plymouth Yacht Haven can also be accessed via the Sutton Harbour River Ferry to Mountbatten Pier Route (£1.50) and Mayflower Marina/Royal William Yard to Mountbatten Pier Route. If you are coming by sea, there are plenty of visitors moorings available. Please contact the marina office to arrange.